Wednesday, December 7, 2011

"When you get sick of us Wednesdays" Guest Blog: My boyfriend shot me...no seriously.

Yup. he certainly did. Ok so it wasn't with a "real" gun, it was with a BB gun. but really, any less psychotic? I think not. Let me set up the scene that led to all of this.

Johnny and I had been together for about 6 years at this point. Through most of high school and all of
college. I thought we were on our way to getting married in the not so distant future. But towards the end of our relationship, I kept finding myself in similar situations to the BB gun incident of '09 as it was later known.

We had what I thought was a good relationship for the most part. When things were good, they were great. We were in love, did everything together, shared memories and helped each other through really difficult times in both our lives. But what eventually put a stop to all of the good parts of our relationship was the fact that every couple of weeks, like clockwork, we hit a rough patch: a really rough patch.

I'm not saying I was perfect through our entire relationship, I know I antagonized at times or could be stubborn. But for the most part, I was a pretty laid back girlfriend. If Johnny needed help, I dropped what I was doing to help. If he changed plans on me to go with friends instead of be with me, not one complaint. I'm convinced that with all the homework I did for this kid, I'm the reason he graduated high school and now has a 4 yr degree. It was when I decided stand up for myself that things took a turn for the worst.

I don't remember exactly what the fight was about that led him to shooting me with a BB gun; not in a joking way, mind you. This was with anger. And it freaking left a welt the size of a golf ball. But hey, when you're mad you're mad i guess. And Johnny got mad a lot. Like the time he jumped out of my Jeep while I was doing about 20mph because we were in the middle of a fight and he decided  he couldn't stand to be around me for one more second. Or the time we went to Ocean City with his family and he demanded I go back to PA in the middle of the vacation due to some disagreement that was, in his mind, a big enough deal to make me drive 4 hours by myself back home. But I digress.

At least our time together wasn't completely worthless; Johnny taught me that when you give someone all of yourself and it's still not good enough, it's time to stop worrying about their expectations and get some of your own. When you're the one in the relationship always bending over backwards to keep the peace, its never going to last unless you pride  yourself on being a doormat.


-R

No comments:

Post a Comment