Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Happy Birthday T.Swift

There's one artist that never fails me when it comes to songs about relationships. I can listen to her songs when I am sad, depressed, or hopelessly in love.  That person is Taylor Swift, and what better day to celebrate Tay Tay than her birthday. 

So in honor of my favorite emotional trainwreck of a girl, here are my top five lessons from Taylor Swift Songs:


Lesson #1: Change is inevitable
"These things will change"

One of my favorite Taylor Swift songs "Change" off of her Fearless album is pretty self explanatory.  As we grow up, change is the only constant in our lives.  In our 20's, change is downright scary.  We have to transition into this thing called "the real world."  Our friends move away, get married, start families and nothing is really ever the same.  We can either embrace the change or run from it, so I'm going to take Taylor's advice and say screw you to the "nay-sayers."

"These walls that they put up to hold us back fell down
It’s a revolution, throw your hands up
Cause we never gave in
And we sang hallelujah, we sang hallelujah"


Lesson #2: No one can change your mind when you love someone
"Seems like there's always someone who disapproves
They'll judge it like they know about me and you
And the verdict comes from those with nothing else to do
The jury's out, my choice is you"

This lesson comes from Taylor Swift's song "Ours."  When you first start a relationship, there tends to be a lot of judgers.  Family members and friends seem to ask a million questions about your new significant oher, but is it really their relationship to judge?  Sometimes you need to hear an outside opinion, but in the end you are the only one who can decide if the relationship is worth it to you.  So if he's treating you right and makes you happy, listen to your own voice, not the million outside sources in your life.

"So don't you worry your pretty little mind
People throw rocks at things that shine
And life makes love look hard
The stakes are high, the water's rough
But this love is ours"


Lesson #3: People can be downright mean!
"All you are is mean and a liar, and pathetic, and alone in life and mean"

An obvious one, Taylor Swift's song "Mean" is kind of hilarious but so true!  Some people just aren't nice.  They will try to bring you down no matter what.  This can apply in romantic relationships and in life in general.  If someone is bringing you down, get them out of your life.  Surround yourself with people who build you up!  You can't change someone who is mean spirited, so say deuces to them!

"I bet you got pushed around
Somebody made you cold
But the cycle ends right now
Cause you can't lead me down that road"



Lesson #4: Love should make you feel fearless!

"And I don't know how it gets better than this
You take my hand and drag me head first, fearless"

This is my favorite song to listen to when I am on my way home from a great date. So corny and probably one of the reasons why I'm still single.  However, I know the fact that I turn this song on after a date means I'm really into him.  Especially during the start of a relationship, you should feel fearless and have butterflies. Don't settle for less than that!


"Well you stood there with me in the doorway
My hands shake
I'm not usually this way but
You pull me in and I'm a little more brave
It's the first kiss,
It's flawless,
Really something,
It's fearless."

Lesson #5:  Breaking up is never easy, but sometimes you need to do it for you.
"And I can't breathe without you but I have to."

"Breathe" is my number one Taylor Swift song, maybe because I relate to it so well.  I think everyone can relate to this song though.  Ending a relationship is hard.  You may really really care for a person but just know it's not going to work out.  Just because you love them doesn't mean that staying with them is the best choice.  Ending a relationship with someone I truly loved was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but I knew that it would never work out between us.  It's easy to get caught up in your feelings and back into the same cycle, but in the end in order to make yourself happy, you have to let them go.

"And we know it's never simple,
Never easy.
Never a clean break, no one here to save me.
You're the only thing I know like the back of my hand"



I love every single Taylor Swift song, but these are the top five lessons that really resonate with me!  So, happy birthday T. Swift!  Thanks for writing songs for us to belt out during all of our dating drama! Cheers to many more!

Forever & Always,

C

No comments:

Post a Comment