Friday, December 9, 2011

To comment or not to comment....that is the question

Social media makes everything very complicated.  This is kind of ironic coming from a girl who is technically using social media to blog and relies heavily on facebook, twitter, pinterest, and stumble upon for entertainment and communication.

As I'm sitting at home, doing nothing but procrastinating and packing to fly home tonight, I was browsing some youtube videos.  I came across a pretty hilarious one about a riot at Walmart on Black Friday over a $2 waffle maker.  I reccomend you look it up, but that's irrelevant!

I'm bringing all of this up because when I saw this video the first person I thought of was N.  We have a running joke about Walmart and because that's one of the places he makes sales, we just talked about Walmart craziness last night.  Automatically I get the thought of posting it on his Facebook wall.  But then I stopped.  And backtracked.  Am I allowed to be posting on hi FB wall? Is that weird?  Are we on that level? Talk about over-analyzing.    

So, I literally spent the past twenty minutes debating in my head if I can post a pointless youtube video to Facebook.  So, I came up with a list of the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to Facebook.

The Good:

1. SO much information.  You can find out a lot about a person from their facebook.  What they are interested in, what they do for fun on the weekends, and so on.   If they are an excessive status updater and post their entire schedule on Facebook, such as "at the gym" or "doing laundry" every five minutes, you know it's a red flag! So, all in all, it can save you a lot of time.

2. It is a good communication tool.  Sometimes when you first meet someone, texting can seem a little intense.  Starting with a good facebook chat can seem less intimidating.


The Bad:

1. OVERANALYZING. Kind of like what I'm doing now.  Can I post on his wall? He just became friends with this girl named Ashley, did he meet her out last night?  Why is that girl commenting on his picture? WHO IS SHE? AHHHHHH!!!  This aspect of facebook can drive you absolutely crazy.   So please try to not be an obsessive stalker, but we all know that love or lust can make you crazy!

2.  Facebook Official.  This goes along the same lines of overanalyzing?  When is it an appropriate time to be FBO?  You don't want to change your relationship status first because then you look desperate. In my experience, it's a conversation you have to time it out right.  How pissed would you be if it took your significant other three days to change it and yours just said "in a relationship" not "in a relationship with N"

This clip describes what I mean!  The Big Bang Theory- "Facebook"


The Ugly:


1.  You can't hide your past.  Facebook is like a timeline of all your past, crappy relationships.  You can't hide the mistakes you made unless you go through and delete old pictures and comments, which would be highly suggested if they are too incriminating.

2.  Everyone knows your business.  When me and my ex broke up, I can't tell you the number of comments and likes I got on Facebook.  Needless to say, he wasn't very popular with my friends and family.  Maybe this should have made me feel better about the breakup because I had support but it actually made me feel worse.  I didn't want people knowing our business and didn't want to deal with random people's opinion on the matter.  Sometimes you just want a little privacy.


So there you have it.  Still don't know if I should post that youtube video, even after all of this processing and contemplating.  Updates to come & please comment with any crazy social media stories.  We'd love to hear them, so we can feel better about our own lives on your behalf. :)

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment