Thursday, January 12, 2012

Non-domesticated girl problems

As women, we have come a long way since the early 1900's.  We can vote.  We outnumber men in college.  We even have taken over some "traditionally male" jobs.

There is one role though that I cannot escape. 

Woman = housewife

I'm not an over sensitive person. I can laugh at a good "woman, make me a sandwhich joke" every now.  I see the humor.  I'm not a crazy feminist and it doesn't offend me.

What DOES offend me though is when people are super serious about it. 

Example 1.

I'm not a gourmet chef, and I really don't enjoy cleaning the house.  Recently though, I have been experimenting with some cooking and baking projects and found I do enjoy it, especially when there is a special occasion I am cooking for.

However, I am still not a "Martha Stewart."  So I texted N and said "I just oatmeal and popcorn for dinner.  I really need to broaden my cooking horizons."

His response, "You are a grown woman. Learn to cook soon or no man will have you. Haha!"

Ok....kind of funny.

So I responded "Can't they just cook for me"

N: "That's a woman's job."

Maybe he was still joking.  But he is a traditional southern man so I am gonna go with no.

How about an equal relationship?? How about a boyfried or husband that will pitch in with the dishes or cook a meal every now and then?  I plan on having a career.  A good one.  And I am not giving that up just so my husband can be the bread winner.  It should be equal.  If we both want a career, we should both have a career.  We can split doing the other things aroud the house. It's really not a hard concept to get.

Why is it so hard to have an equal partnership??? Is this really too much to ask in today's society???


Boggled,

C

No comments:

Post a Comment