Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Watch out for the nice ones

I always tend to like the assholes. I don't know what is so attractive about them, but I fall for them every time. Maybe it's the thrill of the chase or the witty banter back and forth. Regardless, I am like a magnet when it comes to a douchey man.

Knowing this about myself should be the first step of recovery. My next step was trying to go for nice guys even though they make me sick.

Here comes the story:

A few months ago my roommates, our fave male guest blogger and I took a road trip to the beach and we ended up staying with a mutual friend who lives down there. We will call the friend "Lost Dog."

Lost Dog seemed nice enough, but he instantly made me sick. It's not like he is completely unattractive or was a complete dickhead. There was just something about him that I wasn't necessarily into. That night, we all got sloppy drunk and he got a little too touchy feely for my taste. That added to the sick feeling in my stomach. BUT we went to a karaoke bar, had a good time, and he was fun to be around. I passed out in a bed with my roommate and needless to say nothing happened.

Flash forward to January and my friend from home made plans to come down and visit. Naturally, I wanted to take her to the beach and texted Lost Dog to see if it was okay if we could come stay at his place. He eagerly agreed and was really sweet about being excited to see me again. This led to some consistent texting and we bonded about the fact that we were both training for a 10k race in the spring. He even made some comments about how cute I was and how he wanted to get to know me better. Blah, Blah, Blah.

So as the weekend got closer, I got a little more nervous. I didn't want to lead him on or give him the wrong impression. And then I got to thinking, why am I writing this guy off already??? He is a really nice, laid back guy who isn't trying to play games and wasn't coming off creepy. I convinced myself to go on this weekend trip with an open mind.

Blind optimism. Gets me every time.


So when we arrived on Friday night, everything was great. The five of us (my friend from home, my roommate, and her bf)went to grab some dinner and drinks at the local bar before going downtown. That part of the night went so well. He wasn't making me sick at all and I was really enjoying talking to him. He also made my friend who was visiting feel welcome and included in the conversation which I appreciated. When me and my friend went to the bathroom, I even mentioned that I should probably stop being such a picky bitch and give this guy a chance and see what happens. Even though I was still slightly sickened, I sucked it up and had an open mind.

We got to the bar downtown and started ordering shots and getting crazy on the dance floor. All of a sudden though, Lost Dog, was missing. Because he lives in that area, he obviously knew a lot of people at the bar and was mingling when we walked in. BUT because we were coming in from out of town you would think he would make an effort to hang out with us and include us in the conversation.......no.

We lost "lost dog."

He disapeared with a bunch of his friends and when 2am rolled around, we decided to get a cab back to his out without him.

Thought about toilet papering his house.....with his own toilet paper. Yes, I am mature and have mature friends. :)

We were all pretty wastey though, so we passed out. Woke up he next morning, kinda pissed that he didn't even make an effort to hang out with me. I was CONVINCING myself to give you a chance and then you ditch me???? WTF.

Here is the best part though.....


We thought we heard muffled voices in his room. Yep, Lost Dog found his way back to the pound and he brought a little lady friend. Not only did he have a sleepover, he then proceeded to SNEAK her out of his house. He didn't invite her to breakfast or introduce her to us. He simply walked by all of us in the living room and said I'll be right back and snuck her out the side door.

EW.


Even nice guys can be dicks. I was willing to give you a shot, and then you bring another girl home??? Yea, not okay. Sometimes we peg these guys as "nice" before really getting to know them.

Point of the story, don't try to be into someone if you just aren't. You can't force it and it may not even be worth the effort.


Lost Dog, you lost out on a good thing.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment