Thursday, March 22, 2012

Facebook is the new online dating site for men?

Y'all know that my favorite topic to talk about is relationships. So when I get the opportunity to ask some guy friends a bunch of questions, I take it as a "research experiment." I've found I've got a lot of interesting information from this. This experience is not so different.

So I got some really good insight this weekend on the way that guys think/creep/strategize when it comes to women.

I talked to my friend...let's just call him muscles for now. He is very attractive and obviously has a good body. However, he is kind of out there where in it comes to social skills and has never had a girlfriend. Lets throw it out there though that I was also talking to my two other friends who have both had successful relationships.

So muscles started talking about how he wants a girlfriend, so I asked him what his strategy is. He immediately told me that he's not into online dating. He doesn't want to pay for a girlfriend and finds the whole concept awkward and weird.

He started talking about his version of online dating, Facebook.

I love Facebook. I've used it to stalk ex boyfriends, co-workers, random guys that I met at the bar, old high school flames, etc. Never have I ever used facebook to try and scope out single guys that I have no connection to.

Well, muscles has a unique strategy of using Facebook to try and meet his future wife. Muscles started describing that he first starts out with a girl he knows, looks through her pictures, sees an attractive girl, goes to her profile, looks at her pictures, finds a girl who really catches his eye and then stalks her a little bit. Even though they have no mutual friends, no connections, he friend requests her.

Have you ever gotten a friend request from a random dude? I have gotten maybe 1 or 2 and usually ignore them especially if we have no mutual friends.

Think this is creepy? I'm not done yet.

If a girl has their profile on private where he can only see her profile picture. He will type in her last name on the search hoping a relative such as a mom or sibling will pop up who is not so cautious with their privacy settings so he can stalk them and find out more information about said girl.

He has his eye on this one girl who he has been carefully stalking on facebook for 6 months. He has not friend requested her and knows nothing about her. He has been working up the nerve to friend request or message her for months. What would you do if some random guy messaged you and said "hey I saw your picture and think your attractive...wanna go on a date" I think most of us would think that's creepy.

My advice to muscles was very honorable. I told him to lie. Make up a story about how he thinks they met at the bar or something. If she answers and says sorry wrong person you say "oh i'm so sorry I feel so dumb...you are very beautiful though' even that is freaking corny and makes me so sick to even type out.

So as muscles was giving me this information, my wheels started turning. Are all guys like this? I got feedback from the other guys that were around and they said they do the same thing sometimes but never have had enough nerve to actually facebook friend request or message a girl they didn't know. They don't want to be perceived as creepy.

Ding ding ding....that's because it is kind of creepy.

I really don't know if this method would ever work. I'm trying to think of how I would react to an attractive random guy messaging me on facebook. At first, I'd probably be flattered, but then after a few days of intense analyzing (which you know I would do), I'd probably decide that the fact that he messaged me on facebook made me sick....

What are your thoughts on this??? Has anyone ever randomly messaged you on facebook? Would you respond? Do you think this is creepy or totally normal for guys to do?

Feedback would be appreciated!

C

7 comments:

  1. I think it's a little creepy but girls totally do things like this all the time. I think if he tries to pull the we met already card it may work and be way less creepy. I'm still not sure I would answer though... hmm. This is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think girls do this too, but we are probably a bit sneakier/smarter about it. I know I'm a pro at tracking down a hot guy from my classes or wherever, and I'll snoop a bit. Guys rarely have their profile set to private, so it's easier for girls to scope out guys' FBs without adding them!

      Delete
    2. so true! Yeah, I don't know if I would answer unless the guy was super hot. I feel like I would never message some rando...if he wants to meet people online..might as well go for match or eharmony in my opinion!

      Delete
  2. ..And this is EXACTLY why I have my profile set so that only friends can message me haha.

    A friend of mine has been having a similar issue with guys messaging her on FB. She recently got out of a relationship, and it's like she became a magnet for creepy guys to ask her out via FB msg. Creepy? Yes!

    I recommend telling him to stop this behavior NOW lol. It's really creepy (and unhealthy) that he stalks someone for 6 months like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha that was definitely my advice to him! I told him to try to meet someone in real life....like a normal person would! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I just came across this post because a similar thing happened to me. I was at work and a guy came in to fix something. He later talked to a coworker thought I was cute, found out I was single, and she gave him my business card. The next day he sent me a FB request. He is cute and my coworker said he is really interested so I accepted the request. I just don't know what to do about it now. I mean the ball is back in his court again, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I would hope that he would take the initiative to message you after asking to be your friend on FB! I think that this guy is using facebook in the right way...not just trying to find random girls! He met you, thought you were cute, and then took the next step! Sounds like a pretty good situation to be in :)

    ReplyDelete