Thursday, March 15, 2012

Post College Depression...minus the #collegedatingdrama

I miss college so much right now.

I want to sit on my porch, drink natty light, and throw shit at freshman when they walk by. I want to grind on the pole in a basement during a house party. I want to frolic through campus at 2am without a care in the world.

The one thing I do NOT miss about college though is the college dating scene. I did have a serious boyfriend for a year and half of college, but during the other time, dating was horrendous. Except for sophomore year. Sophomore year was the shit. I was so careless and LOVED being single. That is probably the only time in my life I actually enjoyed being single.

Besides that pleasant experience, the dating experiences I have in college were pretty shit.

Exhibit A.: Pauly D

I am naming him Pauly D because he is the epitome of everything jersey and Guido. Not my type at all. Describing him actually makes me sick. For some reason though, when I was drunk I thought Pauly D was the hottest man to walk the earth and to most people he actually is really attractive. We started casually hooking up and of course me like a psycho starts to get a little crazy. We would get drunk and he would tell me he liked me but then be a drunk sloppy mess and hit on freshman girls in front of my face. Needless to say, this didn't last long. I stopped hooking up with him when he peed the bed and all over me at my formal. Yea......


Exhibit B: Boy Band Lover

This one caught my eye at a basement party when he was doing dance moves to Nsync's bye bye bye. Naturally, he was a winner. We hooked up for a while and at that point I was still holding onto my virginity. I SWEAR to this day that he had a bet with his fraternity brothers that he could take my v card. WRONG. He didn't. I think he was looking for more of physical relationship more than anything else and at that point of my life, I was not ready for that. He also gave some lame excuse that he was graduating and didn't know if he should start dating a sophomore in college because he's moving. All excuses. I have to say I'm glad how things turned out. I love corny people, but I don't know if I could handle my future husband busting out nsync moves at my wedding #crazygirl


Besides those two and my long term boyfriend my junior and senior year, I really didn't have any DATING experience in college. The culture was definitley a hook up environment. Getting a date was like studying abroad or something---it was very foreign and different to most people. Only the lucky ones got to experience it.


Thinking about college got me thinking about guys now. Did this culture of hooking up suddenly sneak into dating post college too? From my experience, most of the guys I have talked to that attended college and experienced that hook up culture, don't transition to the dating world well. I don't even know if I have transitioned completely from college mode. I noticed that I am completely terrified to admit to a guy that I am looking for a relationship. Those were the words of death in college and I am just now coming to a realization that it is okay to want that and okay to admit it.

Hopefully we all got that hook up aspect out of our system in the glory days?? I sure as hell don't want to go down that road anymore.

But hey, it was really fucking fun while it lasted!

Nostalgically,

C

1 comment:

  1. This is scaring me!! I am currently in college and the hook-up scene you described is pretty accurate. I just hope that the longer guys are out of college the more they realize they are ready to settle down and start their adult lives. Hopefully...

    ReplyDelete