Sunday, April 15, 2012

Negative outlooks won't lead to positive outcomes

When I picked up this month's Glamour Magazine because my girl Lauren Conrad was on the cover (looking freaking awesome might I add), I wasn't expecting to find inspiration for a new blog entry. However, there was an article in this issue titled "Do You Still Have Faith in Marriage After All This" (talking about the rapid rate of celebrity divorces). I wasn't too interested about the celebrity divorces but more so the thoughts and opinions of the readers surveyed.


Here is a little excerpt from the article:

"According to Glamour's national survey of 3,250 women and men ages 18-40:

"51% of women under 30 believe marriage is becoming outdated,. But 58% of men say the institution is timeless"

Weird that there is a larger percentage of men that have a positive outlook on marriage. You would think it would be the opposite way around right?

Even though women think that it is becoming outdated, "92% of both men and women would PREFER to get married."

Check out the May 2012 issue of Glamour if you want to read this article more in depth!




So is this negative outlook on marriage really getting us any closer to a happily ever after? No. In my opinion I think we are completely contradicting ourselves in a way. We have this negative outlook on the concept of marriage but we want it anyway? It seems a little jaded to me.

The article in Glamour suggests though that women are giving themselves other options, which is great! I agree that there are other ways to happiness than being married, but at the same time, if marriage is your goal at the end of the day I think that you need to fully believe in it.

I think it's all about balance. Marriage may not be your ONLY focus in life, but if you really want it, you need to start thinking positively about it!

I know it's hard to be positive about marriage when the divorce rates are so high. It's even more discouraging when celebrities we thought would REALLY make it (Seal and Heidi Klum) end up calling it quits. I get it. It's easy to be cynical and jaded about love. (I have a blog about dating drama in our 20's.....I get it). It can even be quite funny sometime to embrace how much dating and being single sucks (I think I'm pretty hilarious). BUT I think the power of positive thinking can go a long way.


Negative outlooks do not lead to positive outcomes!

Trying to keep it posi......for now.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment