Thursday, April 19, 2012

Age is more than just a number

As I got older, I thought age would stop mattering a some point, especially when it comes to dating. In high school and college it's all very relevant because a five year age gap is a world of a difference because of the level of maturity attached with that development as a person. A 15 year old dating a 20 year old...eh kinda sketchy. However, is there really that much of a difference between 25 and 30? Not really in my opinion.

From my experience in online dating, age still is a factor in a relationship because that is one of the preferences we have to give. That was really hard for me to distinguish. How old is too old??

When I set my online profile I picked the ages 22-30. Seems pretty reasonable right? 22 is my age so I don't really want to go any younger (because then you start getting into college boys/and people under 21...uh if we can't go to the bar together that's awkward), and 30 just seemed like the cut off.

Needless to say I got a few emails from guys that were 31 or 32 who were all offended that I cut my age range off at 30. Apparently they were sensitive sallies because if they really thought that one or two years would sway my opinion on them, they were mistaken. The one email I received said: "Hey, I don't know why you are so opposed to dating older men. I'm only 32. Give me a shot." Ok....seriously??? I had to cut it off somewhere. If I picked 32 then it would turn into 35 and 35 would turn into 40. I'm not trying to be shallow but I think age really does matter. Difference between 30 and 32? None. These people need to get over themselves.

My friend just recently had another interesting experience having to do with age. A co-worker sent her an email telling her about a friend she had who was looking for a date to a pretty fancy shmancy gala in a few weeks. The co-worker was very honest and aired out this dude's dirty laundry right away which was pretty considerate of her. She explained that the guy was 41, divorced, no kids, CEO of his company, and a pilot. My friend is 25 but still felt like 41 was a bit old. So she did what any of us would do and stalked the shit out of his life on facebook & googled his name. She ended up finding his old wedding pictures (yes, this girl should be a professional creeper haha love ya). Mind you, his wedding was 7 years ago, and this guy looked OLD then. My friend had a realization that 41 was too old for her. Her exact words were, "What is he going to do when I'm running around drunk and he's just chillin there." Haha. Hilarious. But good point. A 41 year olds priorites probably look different than a 25 year olds.


So should the saying "age ain't nothing but a number" be tossed out the window? I don't think so. It obviously depends on a lot of outside factors. Personally sometimes I can't get past a person's age but other times people can totally throw you for a loop when you find out how old they actually are.

Does age matter to you? How old is too old? How young is too young? Is there a magic formula for an age combination?

I'd love your feedback!

Dating drama doesn't stop at any age,

C

No comments:

Post a Comment