Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Do Not Hook Up....anymore

Tonight I made a vow to my roommate. Nope, I didn't turn lesbian last minute & decide to get hitched to her. I made a vow to her that I will not have sex with a man until I am in a committed relationship with him. I specifically announced this to her because I need someone to hold me accountable to this goal.

I have a few reasons for this new proclamation:

-I get way too emotionally attached to people WITHOUT having sex. As soon as we get to that level, it gets even worse. I need to protect my own heart.

-The really hot married man I met at the bar a few weekends ago told me that his wife won him over because she wouldn't have sex with him...for months...until they were officially dating. This made him respect & want to commit to her..or so he says? But hey, she's got the ring so I'll buy it.

-There's a fine line between hooking up and dating. At this point, I'm over casual hooking up. I went to college...been there, done that. I feel if you have sex with someone too early you are just opening the door for it to be a hook up situation instead of a dating situation.

- I don't have anyone to have sex with so it should be pretty easy?


These are all very good reasons....but then I start to second guess myself. In Sex and the City, Carrie specifically states that it's normal to sleep with a guy after three dates. Am I reading too much into a TV show? Maybe that's how it works in NYC or even when you're older. However, in your 20's and in our generation, I think the culture of hooking up has exploded. My personal stance remains the same that if you give it up too early, it can definitely become "just a hook up."

Here's a little theme song for the blog tonight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaafMpqXXBs&ob=av3e

Whoaaa I do not hook uppppp.....as of tonight,

C

1 comment:

  1. I think that's a good motto to live by! Guys won't respect you if you hook up with them immediately and you'll probably never end up in a real relationship. I don't think there is a set number of dates (even though I live by Sex and the City's teachings). It's whenever you feel like you guys have that personal connection.

    ReplyDelete