Sunday, September 9, 2012

"I'm too busy"

I just read an article about the "hook up culture" in today's society, especially on college campuses and among us "twenty-somethings."  This article struck a chord in me that I can't explain--everything in this article I saw reflected in myself.  The main thing that stuck out to me was the fact that women in their 20s always say they are "too busy."  Too busy doing their independent thing to go out on a date with a dude.....to commit to more than a one night stand. 

I use this excuse all the time.

I'm too busy with school, my job, hanging out with my friends, the gym, meetings, my volunteer roles, work out classes, cleaning, going to the grocery store.  You name it and I have probably used it as an excuse to not get involved with someone 

Why as 20-something women do we feel so threatened by a relationship?  Here is what I mean by this:  as women in our 20's we are PETRIFIED that some man is going to get in the way of our independence, our freedom, our friendships, our career goals.  I think we are all scared that being in a relationship will make us weak.  This is only my first guess though.  I think the other thing is that we are scared of being hurt...which also goes along with scared of being dependent. 


I totally contradict myself about this all the time.  I know how bad I want a relationship and someone to share my life with but when the opportunity comes, I RUN....no SPRINT the other way.  I've gotten so used to being on my own that being attached to someone is even more terrifying than being lonely.

It all comes down to BALANCE.  Why does it always have to be one or the other?  You can have a career, friends, goals, family, and a significant other. I think it really is possible to have the best of ALL worlds.

Next time.....I'll make time,

C

2 comments:

  1. Some wisdom in that post, my dear. And even though I am long gone from my 20s, I seem to have a penchant for dating men in their 20s, and those fuckers are always busy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks y'all!

    Kristina--I feel like it's a definite generation thing! Us 20 somethings really think we have to pick one or the other and are starting to pick working over career...pushing it off until we are older and ready to settle down. It's just crazy how the times change.

    ReplyDelete